eNews – December 2016
Thursday, November 24, 2016
‘That’s how the light gets in…’
By Executive Director Rev Dr Jenny Byrnes
My mantra for this year’s journey through Advent to Christmas is “Don’t be seduced by perfection”. There is a lot of noise around about “getting Christmas right”. If we believed the hype, there is the perfect gift, for our perfect families, to be delivered in the environment of a perfect Christmas Day. Not a goal I would ever imagine achieving!
Leonard Cohen’s words from his song “The Anthem” lend some comfort to those who recognise our flawed humanity:
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything (there is a crack in everything)
That’s how the light gets in…
The staff of the CTM wish for all our colleagues in congregations, agencies, and presbyteries across the Synod, that the Advent period and the Christmas Season may be one where the ‘cracks’ in our multi-coloured and diverse humanity let the light of Good News pour in to our lives.
It has not been the perfect year for the CTM, nevertheless we hope we have entered your lives of discipleship and learning in ways that have made the light brighter and more captivating than only focussing on our cracked and oft-broken journeys.
We look forward to next year and to serving you with resources and opportunities to continue to celebrate and give thanks for the light – the light of new and fresh beginnings and new and bright opportunities to serve Christ in our daily journeys.
New Titles in 2017 for Otira Theological Book Club
Thanks to the generous donations from you and other members/congregations throughout Victoria and Tasmania, the new titles available for next year are:
- Disturbing Much, Disturbing Many by Geoff Thompson
- Beyond Belief by Hugh McKay
- Reclaiming an Ancient Heritage by Gwenyth Masters
- Towards a Theology of Peace by Wes Campbell
- Christian Faith in the 21st Century by Wes Campbell
Check out these new titles and the other treasurers at the Otira Theological Book Club.
|23||CTM Closes for 2016|
|9||CTM re-opens for 2017|
|6||Understanding the Sacraments (1/2)|
|24||PoD Mentor Training Day|
|27||Understanding the Sacraments (2/2)|
* Online and hard copy 2017 calendar coming out soon!
Understanding the Sacraments
Understanding the Sacraments is an introductory course for everyone interested in a deeper understanding of the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper (Holy Communion or the Eucharist) within the Uniting Church. We will also explore authorisation of lay people in presiding at the Sacraments in certain contexts, with presbytery approval, and how the required competencies may be assessed.
Held at the Centre for Theology and Ministry, Parkville on Monday 6 Feb and Monday 27 Feb 2017, from 9am-5pm each day. More details coming soon or phone (03) 9340-8800.
Discernment, Formation and Mentoring
The CTM is offering three one-day workshops exploring discernment and formation for ministry, and mentoring for Period of Discernment mentors:
Discernment Day: “What on earth does God want me to do?”
- Sat 4 Feb, 9:00am – 12:30pm
- for anyone exploring ministry and discipleship options, Christian discernment, your personal vocation or purpose in the world, and the ministry and discipleship options supported by the Uniting Church including the Period of Discernment (PoD)
- facilitated by Rev Dr Jennifer Byrnes (CTM Executive Director) and Rohan Pryor (CTM Lay Leadership Educator)
Formation Day: Formation for Ministry in the Uniting Church
- Thu 23 Feb, 9:30am – 4:00pm
- for presbytery Ministry Formation / Candidates Committee members and PoD mentors, exploring Phase 2 formation for ministry candidates through Pilgrim Theological College
- facilitated by Rev Dr Jennifer Byrnes (CTM Executive Director), Rev Sue Withers (CTM Formation Coordinator) and Rohan Pryor (CTM Lay Leadership Educator)
PoD Mentor Day: Mentoring for Discipleship and Discernment
- Fri 24 Feb, 9:30am – 4:00pm
- for presbytery mentors in the Period of Discernment, exploring discernment in the Uniting Church, ministry and leadership options, plus mentoring skills and resources.
- facilitated by and Rohan Pryor (CTM Lay Leadership Educator)
For further details and registration, visit CTM Events or phone (03) 9340-8800